top of page
boltonhallgardens1.jpg

Bolton Hall Gardens

Historic Photographs of the Gardens and Grounds of the former Bolton Hall

Historic Garden: Welcome

Bolton Hall Gardens

Perhaps the heyday of the Hall came after 1866 when the Hall was bought by a rich coal mine owner. He kept a staff of almost a hundred & lived in style. He would open the grounds & parts of the house to the public on the long Saturday afternoons of summer when trips would come across the border from Lancashire (Bolton-by-Bowland used to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire) in horse-drawn Charabancs.

The gardens were magnificent, with extensive heated glass houses where Nectarines, Peaches, Grapes, Figs, & Bananas were grown; there was also an underground Palm house. The stables held over seventy horses & two coaches.

Historic Garden: Text
Historic Garden: Gallery

Private Grounds

The site of the old Bolton Hall and grounds are now known as King Henry’s Mews which are private properties converted in 1997 from the estates remaining outbuildings and stables.

These are now private & not open to the Public, although King Henrys Well and grounds can be seen from the public footpath highlighted on the estate map 


The residents of the estate would like to thank any visitors in advance in respecting their privacy and remaining on the public footpath.

kinghenrymews11.HEIC
Historic Garden: About
bottom of page